The Northern Incident The Northern Incident

I laughed

Good graphics, hilarious story until the Furries came. It's like you tried to accumulate as many clichés as possible. Hell, even the window glass was so thin the dog could jump through it like it was nothing and of course the protagonist thought his chances of survival would be better if he waited inside the forsaken house instead of walking on the road and hoping to find a car or even a building.

All in all really forgettable and one-dimensional tho.

Wilhelm Park Wilhelm Park

Meh

Good graphics, lame story. Every twist could be predicted from the start where an accurate description of the monster was given.

Also, what's the whole point if the two get together in the end anyway? Monster might have stayed human as well. Or does the girl have a serious octopus fetish?

Talking with Edward Elric Talking with Edward Elric

good graphics, bad story

Good graphics, bad story. Not really funny nor surprising, the story (BOY MEETS GIRL) has been done a looooooooooot of times. Also, interesting how little time it takes to turn from stranger to lover... or at least kiss-able person. But okay, enough of the story, I think you know that wasn't the strong point.

Graphical style is quiet nice and clean, I recommend you stick to that style and maybe keep the picture a bit more in motion/action in the future if necessary. I liked the change to chibi-style. Strongest point of your entry and giving you the most points.

Sounds are "basic". No sound effects however (but they might be taken out during the calm music for artistic effect) and the voices were... bad? Sorry, didn't sound very in-situation or anything.

Also, after the squeak, how about immediately showing the unwanted guests for an even more surprising moment?

Compared to the really great entries on NG, this isn't more than 5 points. But keep on making flash movies, you're on a very good train. :)

LovelyKouga responds:

LOL your comment makes me laugh because maybe you didn't read the creators comment? XD It was SUPPOSED to be as cheesy and cliche as possible, so I'm actually rather pleased it got this reaction out of you. XD Also I know you can't really tell, but when it fades out to white when Edward sits down, it's supposed to be a time-skip of a few hours of talking. :)

I agree, too much tweening and not enough frame-by-frame animation. Thanks I'll try harder next time! :D

Yes during the music, no effects at all...but there was the camera sound and record scratch later on after the music stopped. OKAY I am going to do that before I submit this to DeviantART, I think it really WILL look better than the plai white. Thank you! :)

The Dreaded Play Button The Dreaded Play Button

---

Okay, one point for the "preloader", but you know I can't give you much more, right? :P

I think it's a cute idea and ideal if you wanna do a stick movie with a similar style. For everything else, it's too empty, simple and white and this simplicity is what stick movies are famous for, right?
However, it takes too much time until something happens, at least for me. I tried to click on it and when I saw it didn't work I thought "maaan, another retard that didn't test whether the buttons work or not", but then I read your description and looked at it again - but you can't all people expect to act like that.
How about you try this: Make a real button, only it doesn't play to movie. If you click on it, the button will change it's shape a bit to show the user that he "successfully clicked on it". You know, just like clicking a button on your OS, it changes it's shape a bit then, too, right? And then, after clicked, around 1 or 2 seconds after that, let the button trigger the stick-animation. If you can do that, of course xD

I hope that was a bit helpful! The stick looks cute, make sure you put a lot of effort into your movie :D You've got to practise, practise, practise! If there's a new version, feel free to send me a message and I'll take another look at a more progressed version (If you think my advice was helpful that is :p).

Sothleks responds:

Oh trust me, I think that responce was VERY helpful. Like I said, this is my first flash, and I'll take all the advice I can get. The main problem I have is I'm not fluent in flash speak, as it were. I don't know everything there is to know about it, nor do i think I'll learn any time soon. I agree that the button takes too long before anything happens, and that was actually something I planned. I've been in the same position, "ahh some retard..." and thought that it would be something funny that most people would get. Plus, it's something that allows the stick guy to do. Fix the button. which is what he'll have to do.

Again, I'm very greatful for your advice, and I could use all the help I can get. thank you for watching!

--Skeel

Life in the Portal Life in the Portal

Decent Job

Overall, I think it was okay. Nothing really exceptional tho. There were some good jokes like "Sonic Stickman" - or the end with Tom Fulp - but most of the time it wasn't that funny to watch.
Although I think you might pull off all the good jokes in the actual series. If you were serious about it. ôo

The animation did its job, but I'm going to judge you on the same scale like every else movie on Newgrounds and on that one 10 is reserved for real masterpieces - and 5 for you. ;)

Keep it going! I'm enjoying your bible series very much! *g

I Like Chinese! I Like Chinese!

I like this movie

I guess 6 stars is enough for a cute little submission like this one. :) Higher ranks are reserved for bigger, more serious projects so don't be sad :P

Yes, it was cute. What I really liked was the catchy tune of "I like Chine~~ese". I guess there's nothing really about the content nor the technique to say as it is more like a quick small entry. ;)
But wasn't chess invented by some Arabic guys? Oo I know there is an Asian version of chess, what is it called... Shougo or something like that? ôô Can't remember. I shall seek wisdom on google. But those two sorts of chess can't be really compared, can they? At least they don't have the same figures of horses etc you showed in the entry. Just a small advice. n_n

Anyhow, nice work done. Could have been much worse ;P

The Last Fight The Last Fight

Nothing New

meh, I'm a harsh critic, so don't be upset I don't throw around with 10s. Indeed, a 5 means you did quite well.

But.
(You've gotta love this silly word)

- The story wasn't very imaginative/creative. It's the good/bad(/corrupted) twin brother concept we all know from dozens of games and movies. Nintendo alone made all their good protagonists have a "demon side" within them.
--"Every 16 years we prove we can still kick butts" sounds like a really lame excuse to present a battle to the watcher.
-- There was no real build up of the brother's character. I didn't feel sorry for him in the end because I don't know what kind of person he was. Maybe he threw stones at ducks when he was small, who knows? I want to say there was no character build up and that makes all characters really flat. Even the "bad mad scientist" (stereotypes, anyone?) didn't have any background at all. He didn't even have a "real" reason to do what he does. At least give him a bad childhood xD
-- I think you wanted this to be an epic battle, but now battle is epic when there's no story behind the characters so I can cheer on my favorite. Also, the fighting wasn't that exciting.
- You reused on of the brothers standing in a flashback. That's a no-no :S At least his pose looked just like in the beginning of the movie.
- The only real thing that seperated the brothers' appearance was the hair color, right? You need some time to figure out who's the "bad guy". That's bad. :S
- The subtitles were REALLY disturbing. Not only because I wanted the music to explain what I see or at least support the atmossphere, it looks like you couldn't decide whether or not include voice acting (or you didn't want to do any and so subbed it). You could have made up the action so one can naturally think of what the characters say. Like "There She Is!!" steps for a prominent Newgrounds example.

-Graphics were okay. Not top-notch, but not disturbingly bad
-The music and the pics matched, the lyrics hm-hm.

I know a complex opinion cannot be represented by numbers. But let's just say I didn't think your movie was a bad or low one. In fact, I think you really put thought and effort into this piece, but you can do much more if you work on your movies. Maybe let someone else write a script for you if you're not good at story-writing. Books are turned into movies because not all blessed movie-makers can be blessed book authors, too.
Keep up the good work! I hope I'm gonna see some other work from you in the future. :)

Lots of people find this review helpful!

the way of my madness 1p the way of my madness 1p

Well done

I don't throw around with 10s, so don't be disappointed :S

I think you could work a lot on your shading and lightning. The quality of animation sometimes was really good and sometimes almost crappy. Don't be impatient when doing your work. The time you invest WILL pay off, definetly.
What you need now - in my opinion - is just practise in drawing.

For the sound, nothing really to say. The music was decent, overall fitting but not really special. I didn't really have the feeling music and animation were forming an ideal hybrid masterpiece, but they didn't bite each other either. I can see you put in some thought like in the scene where Hank enters the building and opens the doors like in the lyrics (so he did it literally? lol!).

I'd recommend improving your graphics because the gap between some scenes in their quality were drawing my attention more than the storyline or action sequence.
Look at some tutorials, maybe check out the devianArt community. Don't give up. This movie was standing out of the masses of crappy movies that enter the flash portal every day. Good luck on your way, buddy!

Never stop, always keep going and improving!

There She Is!! final step There She Is!! final step

The End

A 10 isn't given out lightly, so let me explain why. This piece was extraordinary.

Of course it's always a bit of fearsome for a fan of a series when a new part is released because we don't know if the author will continue the series like we would like to. However, "There She Is!!" never even once disappointed me and always sticked to its unique characteristics that made the series to what it is now.
First, the graphics. "There She Is!!" never relied on big effects to pull us in, rather than very smooth and fluid animations that go perfectly hand in hand with the choice of music. Even without the lyrics the music had somehow a message being so well interwoven with the graphics the subtitles were a hindrance to enjoy the atmossphere.
The graphics seem to be very basic, without much detail and only with little colors, but this is a very mighty instrument. This way colors themselves can transport messages or be an eye catcher, just for an example, take the green scarfs. What is very amazing is how fluid everything works together and how fluid the animation is. Just look at how well done the intrance of the logo "There She Is!!" was done.
Sound is also important. There is NO voice used, not even once, there is just the music somewhere between fore- and background, and mostly the characters and what they do, sometimes text. This makes the piece quiete remarkable and it's amazing how well the technique worked. Not even little, but no dialogue was capable of transmitting a complex story to both head and heart. Which leads me to the next point.

The story. Absolutely the core of the series without which all the stated pros would never have led to a 10.
It's not only a japanese remake of Romeo and Juliet. It's too amazing to be just that, let alone the character development and the struggles from first to final step. Also, the title "There She Is!!" or the meaning has greatly changed from the first step to the final one now, you've got to see the series as a whole. The plot is very touching and it makes you strongly wonder about the meaning of love.
Aside of the main story, the characters used are very charming. For example, I totally like the "rough bunnies" and the behaviour of the leader who appears to be "just rough" at a first look, but indeed, he's just as lovable as any other "good" character, in his own way. Aside of faceless actors that "symbolize" a crowd or so, the helping characters were very well developed and it was really touching how in the end everyone pulled all strings possibly to make the wonder and paradise happen: "Everything's possible", that's one of the main messages of this piece in my opinion.

"There She Is!!" is a series that has never disappointed me and now delivered a final step we were all waiting for. It had a great plot, amazing characters and was very well and with much love executed. It is definitly a flash animation that is extraordinary and I recommend watching to each and everyone, it's simply a must-see.
It's also one of the view ends that didn't leave me with a "awww it's over D:" in my head, it's a round final step and now I can enjoy watching everything over again. It's amazing from first to final.
I hope we all will find a story like this sometime and will be able to call it our own. It's a beautiful piece of animation.

Thank you for your hard work and effort you put into this piece! Thank you very much for sharing!

Lots of people find this review helpful!

There She Is!! step4 There She Is!! step4

Very well done

I give you 10/10 because I think this is a very good movie, but I don't believe a opinion can be described by one of ten numbers.

And I don't think the change of drama and comedy was a bad thing. Actually, this just shows us the two sides of the medal.
Your style is very fitting the situation. I always was a fan of those people who manage it to describe something by pictures (and maybe some background music) alone and don't need talking characters.
Shine on and build something that goes far beyond Romeo and Juliet.